What are they?
These are potent, organic elements that occur in plants. They provide incredible smells, delicious flavours and therapeutic benefits to the fruits you love, the forests you’ve explored, and now the hemp products you use too bring health and wellness.
How does this relate to CBD?
CBD is a therapeutic compound that occurs in the Hemp plant. Hemp gives off a powerful scent, this scent is a result of the terpene content found within the Hemp flower. Cannabis has a pungent smell, as does Hemp. The scent comes from Myrcene, one of the most common Hemp terpenes, CBD rich Hemp strains contain complex mixtures of terpene compounds. They range from piney and earthy to floral and fruity. The different combinations of terpenes can influence the body and mind in unique ways. There are over 20,000 terpenes that have been identified in the natural world. Cannabis and Hemp have roughly 100. These are the common Hemp terpene:
- Myrcene (musk & cloves)
- Linalool (floral & spice)
- Pinene (pine & sweet)
- Caryophyllene (wood & spice)
- Humulene (earthy)
- Limonene (citrus)
- Ocimene (floral)
- Bisabolol (sweet & floral)
Each of the above also occur in other plants, here are some examples:
- Myrcene: Lemongrass, citrus
- Linolool: Lavender, citrus, rosewood
- Pinene: Conifer, trees, pine
- Caryophyllene: Basil, black pepper, oregano
- Humulene: Hops, basil
- Limonene: Lemons, peppermint
- Ocimene: Mandarin, basil, peppermint
- Bisabolol: Basil, chamomile, cedar wood
- Myrcene is a potent anti-inflammatory compound. It also can be sedating, relaxing and can help aid sleep.
- Linalool relieves stress and depressive symptoms. It also has anti-inflammatory properties and helps reduce pain.
- Pinene has neuroprotective properties helping memory and it has anti-microbial effects, this can help fight bacteria and fungal cells and also reduces inflammation.
- Caryophyllene shows promise in assisting cancer treatments, it also fights inflammation and reduces pain.
- Humulene, another potent anti-inflammatory, shines in the treatment of allergic asthma symptoms.
- Limonene is a great mood elevator, and studies have found it to be more effective than common anti-depressants. It is also capable of balancing hormone levels within the human system.
- Ocimene is one of the significant elements of natural plants that provide anti-oxidants, anti-proliferative (inhibits cell growth, tumours) and anti-inflammatory.
- Bisabolol reduces pain and is helpful in pain management.
so from this information, you can see why CBD, the other commands and Terpenes together offer great benefits for so many common ailments that we experience.